The Invention Studio is a student-run makerspace open to all of Georgia Tech. It is staffed by the Prototyping Instructors, student volunteers who are on hand to train you and help with your projects. Use of the studio is free for all students, faculty and staff of Georgia Tech, regardless of year, major, or prior experience.
The Invention Studio is unique in that students are encouraged to “own” the space. Prototyping Instructors, or PIs, lead other students in the use and maintenance of the space, ensuring that the resources remain available to those who wish to use them. To promote and reward creativity, there are only a few strict rules in the Invention Studio. Rather, we promote an ethic of responsibility, safety, and community ownership. In this way, students can explore and develop unconventional ideas in a supporting environment.
To be the center of self-initiated Design and Innovation on Georgia Tech’s Campus and an inspiration to inventors and makers worldwide, changing the way science and technology is experienced around the world.
Our Mission Statement
To support and foster the demand for creative, self-initiated learning on the Georgia Tech campus, we create environments for students to make their ideas a reality by providing resources for designing, prototyping, and sharing ideas through workshops, vendor networks, experienced guidance, and access to cutting edge machines.
Invention Studio Functions
- Create the center for an environment needed to foster student’s designs and innovation.
- Ensure the organization of the studio is self-managing, by creating respective scheduling of monitoring and assigning members to organizing responsibilities.
- Provide resources for students with the means to access machinery and materials as needed.
- Offer classes, seminars, and workshops to students. Get these learning opportunities advertised campus wide by means of buzz bags, flyers, professors, and departmental communications.
- Expand by way of proposals that achieve success in obtaining equipment needed for the Studio such as the waterjet and 3D printers, as well as more space needed to accommodate the demanding need from students.
- Help in whatever capacity possible to ensure the successful construction of the “Burdell Center”. This building will ensure the success of the student design and innovation programs such as the “Makers Resource”.